A mouthguard or night guard is a protective appliance or device for your mouth that covers the teeth and gums to prevent or reduce injury to the teeth, gums, arches, and lips.
Mouth Guards and Night Guards are often recommended for several oral health issues, the most common being if you are suffering with TMJ/TMD or Bruxism. Mouth guards, which are used if you engage in sports or intense physical activity, tend to be more affordable and do not require a prescription. Night guards are usually fabricated in a dental lab and are custom designed for your unique bite.
At Vita Dental our compassionate team will always put your oral health care first. We work harmoniously to provide you with both a stress free and a state-of-the-art experience. At Vita Dental we focus diligently on providing you with the best dental treatment solutions available while earning your trust and confidence. We concentrate on creating a very calming space to satisfy patients of all ages. Do not hesitate to call us today at 317-288-4226 with any questions you might have regarding an evaluation for a night guard or mouth guard and join our family today!
Mouth guards and night guards are both effective treatments for preventing damage to your teeth, jaw, and overall oral health. If you have consistent symptoms associated with TMJ/TMD or Bruxism such as headaches, chronic jaw pain, and a feeling of restlessness resulting from disrupted sleep then a night guard will be an appropriate solution for you.
Call us today for more information or to get started on your new dental journey!
More Details on TMJ/TMD
TMJ/TMD refer to oral health ailments that can develop in your jaw that are typically characterized by headaches, teeth grinding or pain in your jaw. If left untreated, these disorders might result in serious damage occurring with your teeth and your jawbone.
TMJ, temporomandibular joint, connects the temporal bones of your skull to your jaw and is responsible for your jaw being able to move both side to side and up and down. When this joint becomes injured or inflamed, symptoms will now range from headaches, numbness in the face, pain, ringing in your ears, or a jaw that becomes locked or difficult to open.
TMJ disorders are usually classified into the following three categories:
- Myogenous TMJ problems: The most common type of TMD, Myogenous TMJ disorders involve muscle related pain and are related to discomfort in the temple, jaw, shoulders, or neck. These are most often treated successfully with night guards and even BOTOX® treatment.
- Jaw joint generated pain: When pain is caused by internal derangement of TMJ, which can be the result from an injury to the condyles, a displaced disc within the TMJ, or a dislocated jaw.
- Degenerative joint disease: Caused by other health issues such as rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis.
The exact cause of TMJ/TMD is often unknown, but several potential contributing factors are:
- Dislocation of the Cushioning Disc
- Genetic predisposition
More Details on Bruxism
Bruxism is an unhealthy condition that is characterized by the grinding, clenching, or gnashing of your teeth. Bruxism can happen while you are awake or while sleeping. If you have sleep bruxism you often have related issues such as sleep apnea or snoring.
Common signs of bruxism include the following:
- Jaw Pain
- Worn Teeth
- Fractures or Loose Teeth
- Hearing Loss
The Different Types of Night Guards and Mouth Guards
- A Soft Night Guard- This is the most common type of night guard for mild or occasional cases of Bruxism, not for severe teeth grinders. They are the most comfortable fit, the most adaptable and easy to get used to and lower in cost. This guard is not as durable and is not a long-term solution.
- Dual Laminate Night Guards- This type of night guard for Bruxism is for moderately severe teeth grinders. They are hard on the outside but soft on the inside. They can handle heavy clenching and grinding, and are longer lasting. These are also thicker and are harder to get used to.
Hard Night Guards- Hard acrylic night guards for Bruxism are extremely rigid but durable. They can be used for very severe cases of grinding, as well as TMJ. These are the most durable, they prevent your teeth from shifting and have the longest life expectancy. They are made from an accurate dental impression at Vita Dental, are the thickest option and are the most uncomfortable.
Get in Touch with Vita
Use the contact form below or call us at (317) 288-4226
Fitting and Sizing your Night Guard or Mouth Guard
Personalizing the fit of your night guard will depend on the type and quality of the brand. Here are the examples of night guards for Bruxism:
- “One-size-fits-all.” These are over-the-counter mouth guards you can buy that will not be custom fitted. These will work if you are a very random teeth grinder and are the lowest-cost option.
- “Boil and bite.” With these retail guards you just boil in water and bite into it to leave your own impression. It is usually simple to do and seems to be the most common type used. Good for simple sporting activities.
- Order online. These are night guards you can just order online. You need to send in your impression, and they mail back your fitted mouthpiece.
- Made in a lab. The best alternative, you can get your guard right at Vita Dental. These will offer the most accurate fit because we make them with your impression in our lab.
If you think you may have a Bruxism issue it can easily be treated with night guards. It is always best to see us at Vita Dental to see if we can diagnose the root cause and address that before seeking other treatment. As an example, sleep apnea may be the underlying cause.
We Put Patients First
AT VITA DENTAL
If you have questions about Vita Dental or any of the procedures we offer, please contact our office at (317) 288-4226 or via an online contact form. We will gladly schedule a complimentary consultation to discuss your treatment options.
Proper At-Home Maintenance of your Night Guard or Mouth Guard
It is essential to clean your mouth guard or night guard every night. With clean hands, you should rinse the guard immediately and then brush the guard using toothpaste and your soft bristle toothbrush. When clean, place it on a clean surface and let it dry. Once dried, store your guard in a proper case.
By following these suggestions, your guard will last you a long time. Understand that eventually your guard will need to be replaced. Please always bring your guard with you to your dental appointments so we can inspect your guard for any signs of wear and to make sure that it is still fitting properly.
We Love our Patients at Vita Dental
The thoughtful team at Vita Dental is confident that you will always be comfortable in our caring and comprehensive office. As you enter our clinic, we will treat you like family because you are both our friends and our neighbors. We focus our every effort on providing you exceptional, high quality dental care in a relaxing environment. Give us a call today at 317-288-4226 with any questions regarding an evaluation and a consultation for a night guard or a mouth guard, or any concerns you might have.
Vita Dental is a modern dental practice serving Fishers, Indiana, and the surrounding communities. You can find Vita Dental at 11630 Olio Rd, #100, Fishers, IN 46037.